By Seth Eggert, NASCAR Writer
The last time the NASCAR Xfinity Series visited Talladega Superspeedway, Elliott Sadler took home the victory in thrilling fashion. Sadler narrowly avoided spinning as contact between himself and Joey Logano set off a melee that took out several cars, including Logano, coming to the checkered flag.
Logano and Sadler are the only former winners in the field for Saturday’s race.
Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series drivers in the field this weekend include Aric Almirola, Daniel Suarez, Erik Jones, Logano, Kasey Kahne, and Ty Dillon.
NASCAR Camping World Truck Series regular Jordan Anderson is also entered in Saturday’s event.
Xfinity Series Championship
Justin Allgaier, Ryan Reed, Elliott Sadler, Daniel Hemric, and William Byron are the only four NASCAR Xfinity Series regulars that have Playoff points. Allgaier has six Playoff pointes, Reed has five Playoff points each while Sadler has two Playoff points. Both Byron and Hemric have a single Playoff point each.
At Talladega, the first stage ends on lap 25, the second stage on lap 50, and the final stage on lap 113.
What to Watch For
There are several storylines going into this weekend’s race to watch for:
- Will a Cup Series regular win again, or will a Xfinity Series Championship contender take the win?
- Ben Kennedy will make his first start of the season in the No. 2 Rheem Chevrolet Camaro for Richard Childress Racing.
- Ty Dillon returns to the No. 3 Bass Pro Shops/Tracker Boats Chevrolet Camaro for Richard Childress Racing.
- Darrell Wallace Jr. will have Globe Life as the primary sponsor of his Roush Fenway Racing No. 6 Ford Mustang for the first time this season.
- Daniel Suarez returns to the No. 18 Peak Antifreeze & Coolant Toyota Camry for Joe Gibbs Racing.
- Erik Jones returns to the No. 20 Reser’s American Classic Toyota Camry for Joe Gibbs Racing.
- Joey Logano returns in the No. 22 Discount Tire Ford Mustang for Team Penske.
- Scott Lagasse Jr. returns to the No. 24 Toyota Camry for JGL Racing.
- Tyler Reddick returns to the No. 42 BBR/Jason Aldean Chevrolet Camaro for Chip Ganassi Racing.
- Kasey Kahne returns in a fifth JR Motorsports entry, the No. 88 Armour Chevrolet Camaro.
Where and When to Watch (All Times Eastern)
Practice 1: Friday, May 5, at 11:30 a.m. on Fox Sports 1
Practice 2: Friday, May 5, at 1:30 p.m. on Fox Sports 1
Qualifying: Saturday, May 6, at 10:30 a.m. on Fox Sports 1
Race: Saturday, May 6, at 1:00 p.m. on FOX, SiriusXM NASCAR Radio, and the Motor Racing Network.