Tuesday’s latest stories from the world of football in ESPN FC’s What’s Trending…
MAN UNITED: Jose Mourinho has played down Manchester United’s chances of winning the Champions League this season.
– Mourinho has confirmed David De Gea will start Manchester United’s Champions League clash with Basel despite picking Sergio Romero for vital Europa League games last season.
– Rob Dawson on Romelu Lukaku and Marcus Rashford’s big Champions League opportunity for Manchester United.
– Former United star Mark Hughes’ relationship with the club is now frosty, Andy Mitten writes.
– Nick Ames argues that Juventus are the team most likely to dethrone Real Madrid this season.
– Premier League clubs are desperate to end a decade of Champions League failure, Michael Cox writes.
BARCELONA: Juventus boss Massimiliano Allegri says Barcelona are still the benchmark in European football as he prepares his side to face them on Tuesday.
– Marc-Andre ter Stegen says Juventus striker Paulo Dybala could make the difference in Tuesday’s Champions League clash at Camp Nou.
– Barcelona are, without doubt, wounded and vulnerable after a tough summer, but Juve should underestimate them at their peril, Graham Hunter writes.
PSG: Paris Saint-Germain captain Thiago Silva has insisted that he and his teammates have completely forgotten about last season’s Champions League last-16 second leg humiliation away at Barcelona, and are focused solely on this new edition of the competition.
– Neymar, Kylian Mbappe and Edinson Cavani are available as the Champions League Group B campaign begins against Celtic on Tuesday, but PSG will be without Angel Di Maria and Javier Pastore
– Kylian Mbappe says Juventus must not be discarded as candidates to win this season’s Champions League but hopes he can achieve glory with PSG.
ATLETICO MADRID: Atletico left-back Filipe Luis says Brazil teammate Neymar “made the right decision” to leave Barcelona for Paris Saint Germain this summer.
REAL MADRID: Zinedine Zidane says Cristiano Ronaldo is “very focused” on getting back to what he does best by playing in Wednesday’s Champions League Group H opener at home to Apoel Nicosia.
– Marco Asensio says he has no intention of leaving Real Madrid and was surprised to see Neymar join Paris Saint-Germain from Barcelona this summer.
– Gareth Bale said he knows he must keep evolving as a player as he adapts to a central attacking role this season.
– Real Madrid have a reputation for being a star-studded group of Galacticos, but their path to European dominance has been entirely different.
BAYERN MUNICH: Julian Nagelsmann has added to speculation that he could one day coach Bayern Munich by revealing his wife and children will move to Munich.
LIVERPOOL: Liverpool will appeal against the length of Sadio Mane’s three-match ban for his dismissal against Manchester City, according to multiple reports.
MAN CITY: Ederson Moraes is back in training after making a quick recovery from his kick to the face in Saturday’s 5-0 win over Liverpool.
– Sporting Kansas City and U.S. under-20 international Erik Palmer-Brown has signed a pre-contract with Manchester City, a source has confirmed to ESPN FC.
– Bayern CEO Karl-Heinz Rummenigge has hit out at Robert Lewandowski for his criticism of the club’s transfer policy.
AC MILAN: Milan general manager Marco Fassone says he is “disappointed” with agent Mino Raiola for not believing in the Rossoneri’s project.
CRYSTAL PALACE: The club have confirmed they have parted company with manager Frank de Boer, with a source telling ESPN FC that Roy Hodgson is set to take over.
UNITED STATES: Former U.S. defender Alexi Lalas blasted the national team amid its current struggles to qualify for the World Cup, calling the players “underperforming, tattooed millionaires.”
N.IRELAND: Northern Ireland manager Michael O’Neill has been arrested on suspicion of drink driving.
Follow @ESPNFC on Twitter to keep up with the latest football updates.